With Infrastructure Week underway, millions of Americans are learning about the challenges that a failing infrastructure poses to the nation's economy. However, one industry stands above because of its ability to privately invest in maintaining their network - freight rail. For the men and women of America's railroads, every week is Infrastructure Week.
11 numbers to know about freight rail:
- $60 million - How many dollars per day freight railroads invest in their infrastructure.
- 8 - The number of times rail in the U.S. network could circle the earth.
- $274 billion - Freight rail's economic impact in 2014.
- 54 - The number of tons of freight moved for every American each year.
- $1 - Invested by the railroads generates $10 in economic activity.
- 69,000 - Tons of new rail laid in 2015.
- 43 - Percent decrease in accidents and derailments since 2000.
- $100 million - Amount invested each month to develop, test, and install Positive Train Control (PTC)
- 14.6 million - Number of crossties installed in 2013
- $121,000 - Average rail employee compensation, including benefits.
- 6 - Freight railroads invest six times the average manufacturer.
The numbers are clear. Freight rail works for America.